What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? (Rom 8:31)
There are two questions here; the second is a popularly quoted verse… but consider the first question – what are ‘these things’?
Let us consider some ‘things’ that come before this verse
- No condemnation now for us (v1)
- We are free the law of sin and death (v2)
- We have, indwelling us, the same Spirit that raised up Jesus, and he shall revive our mortal bodies (v11)
- We have been adopted by the Father (v15)
- We are thus His children (v16)
- And, therefore, joint heirs with Christ (v17)
- Unimaginable glory is awaiting us (v18)
- The Holy Spirit makes intercession for us (v26)
- God is managing/working the things which occur for good (v28)
Wow! What a list to praised Him for!
Some may be opposed to us, but with God being “for” us, they cannot be against us successfully!